Our most exciting and stressful project to date (at least I think so) has been moving this building. This little red structure is something we affectionately call the carriage house. Did it have carriages in it? We don’t actually know. Does the Historical Society consider it a historical structure? They sure do. And without it I’d have no where to park my mower so it’s obviously needed.
I took the above picture the day I signed the papers to buy the house. It is a perfectly fine structure it was just blocking the (then and one day again) beautiful garden so mom and dad decided to change that. Last summer we had a pad poured after we got approval from the city and historical commission to move it. And then dad had a year to agonize and plan. So the first step was to stabilize and brace the building to make it as solid as possible
Then my wonderful friends Zack, Andrew, and Jesse built a rock wall out of the many many stones I pulled out of the garden. Isn’t it a nice looking little wall??
And then we began doing the insane. We pulled a building on top of that wall…. I don’t think anyone felt super confident in the wall except for Dad. But kudos to Zack, Andrew, and Jesse because that thing worked! We used the truck as a movable anchor at first and attached tow straps around and to the building. We jacked the building up and put it on round fence poles as rollers. Then we used come-alongs to actually move it. So little by little this building moved.
And I’m talking LITTLE by little. We had a total of 78ft to move and each come-along pulled around 3ft, if we’re being generous. At times we’d have to stop and reset to make tiny adjustments in what we were doing so we didn’t even complete 3ft of movement each reset. It took 2 full days of constant work, pulling and adjusting to move this thing.
After we ran out of rock wall we built a track with scrap wood we pulled out of the house when we demo-ed the upstairs.
That worked brilliantly too. I don’t have a picture of it but Jesse and Andrew also fashioned a second track that ran next to the existing track to add stability. That definitely helped. Throughout the adjustments we used the truck to move from and the trees along the property line. Here are some progress pictures.
As you can imagine these were taken when we finally got it over the pad. I was very excited. About midday on day 2 I thought it really would never get there. BUT IT DID! Once it got there we were able to use the fence posts to move the building as perfectly as possible. While we were getting nearer to the pad Gordon showed up and gave us a hand! Thank you very much to him for the help too!
As you can see the walls worked very hard
So just a couple of my favorite before and afters:
I don’t know what you guys think but I think it looks phenomenal!! Next up I hope to post about the finish work on the carriage house!
And I just want to say a massive thank you again to my wonderful friends. We couldn’t have done it without them so thank you for 2 straight days of micro adjustments and wall building 💙